.
.

Welcome

.
.
Make yourself at home. Put your feet up. Grab your favorite beverage and prepare to enjoy the reads.
.

.

Friday

Lemon Escargot

Did you know that snails eat lemons? Now you have a new treat to feed your pet snail!

Actually, they don't eat the whole lemon, they just eat the rind, leaving the citrus hanging from the tree without it's skin. They have the appearance of a peeled tangerine and all the segments are not yet separated.

Poor naked lemons!

I suppose if one were to raise snails for escargot and fed them lemon rinds, they would be a new sensation in the gourmet world.

Maybe I should go out in my yard and collect up all those voracious lemon eating snails and ship them out of here, and make a little money on the side.

Anyone know where I can sell some escargot?

I have a lemon tree, a miniature Meyer lemon tree. Miniature is a relative word here. It's not any sort of bonsai. It's presently about 6 feet tall and maybe as wide at the base.

I wanted a Meyer lemon tree for ages. Why? You may ask. They are sweet for a lemon, and prized by gourmet chefs. You can't buy them in the supermarket. They don't ship well.

Regular lemons are dumped into giant trucks, driven across country and dumped at destination, their tough skins still intact. Meyers wouldn't be able to handle that. Meyers have a thinner rind than most, so all that dumping and jiggling around in a truck would just encourage them to spoil.

Yes, lemons can spoil. They can get mold if you cram them all together and deprive them of air circulation.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy about the snails. There are an overproduction of them in the area. They are fattening themselves up on all the spring greenery and bringing their cute little kids along for the feast. I guess you can tell I like snails. But, I wish they'd leave my lemons alone!!!

I have lemon every day in my tea. I suppose maybe, I am being selfish. The tree does produce a lot of lemons and I'm not in the business of selling them. I guess I just don't want to share! Granted I can wash them off before using, and I do that anyway. But, just the idea of my lemon juice squeezing out across an old snail trail, I just don't care for the concept. Thank you very much!

According to internet research there are all kinds of methods to get rid of them. Everything from poisons to, guess what, lemon juice!

I don't wish to use poisons. Some poor stray kitty might come along, walk over it, lick his paw and become sick. No poisons. Don't think the lemon juice is going to work!

What do you think?



100 Things to do with Meyer Lemons


Recipe using lemon in Escargot:

Apple Snail in White Wine


Ingredients 
  • 2 cups of chopped apple snails
  • 1 tablespoon lemon
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 sliced onion
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
Simmer the apple snails in an uncovered skillet in olive oil with the garlic, lemon, oregano, pepper, salt, sweet pepper and tomato sauce. Add the white wine, water and sliced onion. Cover the skillet and cook for 20 minutes.
Serve with rice or potatoes. (6 persons)

(By G. Perera & J.G. Walls, taken from the book: "Apple snails in the aquarium", see literature list)
(not licenced under creative commons))

6 comments:

  1. That's outrageous that lemon juice would get rid of snails when they enjoy dining on your lemons so much! So as not to break your heart ever again, I read every single word in this post and will do so in further posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe they eat lemons!! And the strongest lemon part of the fruit is that zest. Too weird! No I don't have any idea how to get rid of those nasty things either, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer...snails love beer. Try putting a container of beer around the bottom of the Lemon tree and see if that keeps them off the Lemons. My grandma taught me this one. The snails drink it until they explode.

    Salt works too, but it doesn't make them explode it dissolves them, they melt when they get into salt.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melanie! I had forgotten about the beer! Hmmm... wonder if there's a gourmet recipe for exploded beer soaked lemon escargot???

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so funny!

    It's interesting that the snails can get so close to lemons and that some people say that lemon juice can kill them?

    That's strange.

    I wish my name was Bunnykins...

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are always welcome. I read, and enjoy, each of your comments. I will approve your comment as soon as possible.

If you don't have an account and don't want to sign up for one, you can still leave a comment. Enter your message and a name, even if it is Bunnykins.

You may use name and URL. Entering a URL is optional. If you have a site and you want to share it, this is a good opportunity to do so

Or you may use the Anonymous button.

Thanks for taking time to comment!